Saturday 27 February 2016

Swiss Gianni Infantino elected FIFA president till 2019


Gianni Infantino has been elected as the new FIFA president after pulling off 115 votes in the second round of polls to beat off favourite Salman Bin Ibrahim al-Khalifa into second while Prince Ali bin Hussein finished third.

The 45-year-old Swiss vowed to restore the image of the game’s governing body
Infantino won Fifa’s election for a new president to dethrone disgraced Sepp Blatter, who was suspended from all football related activities for eight years but later reduced to six years.

Infantino, who was  visibly emotional during his victory speech in Zurich and vowed to restore FIFA’s credibility.
WHAT THE NEW FIFA PRESIDENT SAID…
“Dear friends, I cannot express my feelings in this moment,” he said in his acceptance speech.
“I told you I went through a journey, an exceptional journey, a journey which made me meet many fantastic people, many people who love, live, breathe football every day.
“We will restore the image and respect of Fifa. People will applaud us, applaud you for what we will do.
“Everyone has to be proud of what we will do at Fifa. I want to thank you all, all 209 and the other candidates. Tokyo [Sexwale] decided four can win, one cannot win. We had a great competition, a great sign of democracy in Fifa.
“I want to be president of all 209 [member federations]. I have travelled the globe and I will continue to do this. I want to work with all of you together in order to restore and rebuild a new Fifa where we can put again football at the centre of the stage.”

No comments: